Being part of the She Shreds community means that we all identify as nature lovers! and we firmly believe that we can all contribute to do our bit to protect the environment and save the planet. That’s the reason why our clothing collection is entirely sustainable!
And I know that we’ve all heard or read the terms sustainable fashion, ethical fashion or even slow fashion. But what do they mean?
The aim of this article is to address the most common questions about sustainable fashion so we can all have a better understanding of how it works and why it is important to care about what we wear.
What is Sustainable Fashion?
Sustainable fashion, vegan clothing, ethical fashion, eco fashion, slow fashion… Yes, you’ve heard them all and you probably don’t know what any of these mean!
Well, all these terms refer to clothing that is designed, manufactured and distributed in ways that are environmentally friendly, as opposed to fast fashion which is manufactured at warp speed and sold at a low price point by companies that WE’VE ALL bought from at some point (you know the big ones like H&M, Zara and so on).
Although the term sustainable fashion is very broad and it implies a lot of different designing, manufacturing and distributing options, all of them have one thing in common: to keep the environmental footprint as minimal as possible.
Sustainable and ethical fashion can be defined as clothing, accessories and shoes that are manufactured, distributed, marketed and used in the most sustainable manner possible, taking into account both environmental and socio-economic aspects.
Forms of Sustainable Fashion for brands
For a fashion brand, when it comes to being sustainable all stages of a product’s life cycle (be it manufacturing, production of raw materials, designing, transport, storage, marketing and even sale) are taken into consideration. This means creating in a way which is most considerate of humanity and the environment with the goal being to have a system which works without leaving a negative footprint. We know that brands in the sustainable path if they are:
- Green and clean (natural ingredients and textiles): This means that the production process is eco-friendly and protects the environment by lessening the negative impact on it. This can be done by using recycled materials and organic fabrics, and by using renewable energy to manufacture goods.
- Organic cotton saves us from pesticides, is better for the health, and also protects wildlife. You can check our clothing items which are produced exclusively with organic cotton.
- Vegan materials reduce the negative environmental impact caused by animals. The use of vegan fabrics prevents animals from dying or suffering for our clothes. Visit our shop and find a wide range of hoodies and t-shirts made with vegan fabrics, for kids and adults.
- Fair and ethical (fair trade and fairly paid): This means that production and manufacturing processes are done in such a way that avoids the exploitation of workers or people living on the land. Fair labor practices and fair wages for all employees working in factories
Forms of Sustainable fashion for customers
From a customer’s point of view, sustainable fashion means thinking about what we buy, knowing which philosophies we are supporting through our purchases. This means taking into consideration factors such as materials used to craft the products, timeless designs. It is also about being conscious and making mindful choices since we have unending options at our fingertips to find our path to a more sustainable closet:
- Buy from sustainable brands
- DIY and Upcycle: repair redesign and upcycle your own clothes
- Second hand & vintage: a super sustainable solution because the pieces already exist, so you are saving the entire negative impact of production.
- Slow fashion and minimalism: Having as little as possible means less consumption and less negative impact on the environment.
WE CARE ABOUT WHAT WE WEAR
The She Shreds team cares about the environment and we believe in conscious and ethical processes to reduce our ecological footprint.
We work with a certified sustainable provider that integrates sustainability into every step of the supply chain.
Our clothing collection is made with 100% organic cotton and recycled materials. The designs in our hoodies and t-shirts are printed using traditional methods and sustainable materials.